An illustrated food and movie blog
"Like sunlight, sunset, we appear, we disappear"
Illustrated by : Hannah Waine
- Chicken Souvlaki pita
- Greek salad
A taste of sunshine, rosy cheeks, good wine and arguments with a significant other, sounds like summer to me! In Before Midnight, Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke walk around an idyllic town in Greece while discussing anything and everything. We cooked classic greek dishes: a greek salad and chicken Souvlaki pita. Charlie took care of the pita (took him about an hour) and I made the salad in 20 minutes, some might say that’s not sups fair but whatever.. You can basically use almost all the same ingredients for the two recipes which is pretty handy.
Pro tip: For a romantic date, avoid overcrowding the pita to prevent ingredients from spreading all over the face.
"Still there. Still there. Still there. Gone."
Chicken Souvlaki pita
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- CUCUMBER SAUCE
- 1/2 cup seeded, shredded cucumber
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- THE REST
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 4 large pita bread rounds
- 1 heart of romaine lettuce, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, halved and sliced
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1. In a small bowl, mix the balsamic vinaigrette, juice from 1/2 lemon, oregano, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Place chicken in a large resealable plastic bag. Pour marinade over the chicken, seal, and refrigerate for 45min to 1 hour.
- 2. Toss the shredded cucumber with 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and allow to sit at least 5 minutes. In a medium bowl, mix the yogurt, sour cream, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, rice vinegar, and olive oil. Season with garlic, fresh dill. Squeeze the cucumber to remove any excess water; stir into sauce. Season to taste with kosher salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- 3. Remove chicken from marinade and place on prepared grill. Discard remaining marinade. Cook chicken until juices run clear, about 8 minutes on each side. Remove chicken from heat, and allow to sit about 10 minutes before slicing into thin strips.
- 4. Place pita rounds on the grill, and cook for about 2 minutes, until warm, turning frequently to avoid burning. Stuff pita pockets with sliced chicken, lettuce, onion, tomato, olives, sauce (with the cucumber) and feta cheese.
"You are the F****** mayor of Crazytown!"
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce- rinsed, dried and chopped
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 (6 ounce) can pitted black olives
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1. In a large salad bowl, combine the Romaine, olives, tomatoes, cucumber and cheese.
- 2. Whisk together the olive oil, oregano, lemon juice and black pepper. Pour dressing over salad, toss and serve.