An illustrated food and movie blog
"How can a train be lost? It’s on rails."
Illustrated by : Luna Medina
the darjeeling limited&
- Chicken Curry
- Mango Lassi
For this next Episode, we decided to go on a trip to India with Wes Anderson’s movie, The Darjeeling Limited. The story takes place in India where three brothers travel by train a year after their father’s funeral in an attempt to bond with each other.
I had never seen it as I’m not the biggest Wes Anderson’s fan, (The color schemes of his movies, for some inexplicable reason, give me little panic attacks) but it was really fun and the trio of Owen Wilson, Adrian Brody and Jason Schwartzman works well.
We made a chicken curry which was delicious and we were able to enjoy the curry smell in our apartment for almost a whole week, Yummy! We also made a Mango Lassi that tasted great and refreshing.
Have a spicy trip for this fourth Episode!
"I love the way this country smells. I'll never forget it. It's kind of spicy."
Ingredients (for 4 to 6)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- salt to taste
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Jasmine rice
- 1. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Saute onion until lightly browned. Stir in garlic, curry powder, cinnamon, paprika, ginger, sugar and salt. Continue stirring for 2 minutes.
- 2. Add chicken pieces, tomato paste, yogurt, and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
- 3. Remove bay leaf, and stir in lemon juice and cayenne pepper.
- 4. Simmer 5 more minutes.
- 5. Serve over jasmine rice. To make a nicer presentation, you can pack the rice in a ramequin and reverse it onto a plate ( a bit like a sand castle).
"I want us to make this trip a spiritual journey"
Ingredients (for 2)
- 2 big ripe mangoes
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup of ice
- 1. Peel, slice and dice the mangoes
- 2. Mix all the ingredients in a food processor for couple minutes
- 3. Serve in two tall glasses with straws.