An illustrated food and movie blog
"I'm French, Spanish, English, Danish. I'm not one, but many."
Illustrated by : Michele Boulay
- Chicken Paella
With Chinese Puzzle hitting the theaters in the US as we speak, we thought it would be a good idea to watch the original foreign hit by Cedric Klapisch starring Romain Duris. L’auberge Espagnole is a charming movie, featuring a great cast. It’s funny and honest and it inspired a generation to pack their suitcases and go study abroad. The movie takes place in Barcelona, so we decided to cook a national favorite : a Paella. Accompanied with a nice cold Sangria, this is as close as you can get to the Sagrada Familia without leaving the comfort of your home. ¡Buen apetito!
"La fac! what? La "FUCK"?"
around 1 hour
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 red pepper
- 1 large handful green beans
- 1 pack arborio rice
- 1 carton chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 onion
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1. Cut the whole chicken into pieces. Slice red pepper and dice onion.
- 2. Heat some oil until very hot in a large skillet, and sautée chicken until nicely browned around 6 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper as it cooks.
- 3. Remove chicken from pan, lower heat to medium, and sautée the onions and red peppers. Meanwhile, heat up the stock.
- 4. Add a little more oil to pan, and add the arborio rice. Sautée the rice with the peppers for a few minutes, stirring constantly.
- 5. Place the pieces of chicken evenly back in the pan, add the green beans, and pour the stock over everything.
- 6. Add the paprika, saffron, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir everything around, lower heat to a gentle simmer.
- 7. Cook until the rice has absorbed all the stock and the chicken is cooked through (about 30-40 minutes). Serve with lemon. Enjoy!
"your most horrific experiences are the stories you most love to tell."
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons orange juice
- 1/2 bottle dry red wine
- 1/4 cup triple sec
- 1/2 lemon, sliced into rounds
- 1/2 orange, sliced into rounds
- 1/2 lime, sliced into rounds
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 cup carbonated water
- 1. In a large pitcher or bowl, mix together the brandy, lemon juice, orange juice, red wine, triple sec, and sugar. Float slices of lemon, orange and lime in the mixture. Refrigerate overnight for best flavor. For a fizzy sangria, add club soda just before serving.